Thursday 13 January 2011

Up up and away!

Yea! First lesson this morning in a Cessna 172SP reg G-UFCG.



My lesson was booked for 0930 so from getting up I was constantly looking at the sky commenting to Janice that the weather looked fine.  I decided that instead of ringing the club to see if they were flying we would just go and take a chance.  At least I would be able to have a look around and get to meet the staff even if I didn't fly.

As we were getting closer to the airfield the cloud base looked to be at about 1500 feet but in the distance over Strangford Lough the cloud seemed to be higher and the sky brighter which was promising as that would be the direction the lesson would take me.

We arrived at the airfield at about 0920 and went to the reception. "Hello, I'm here for a trial flight."  "Good Morning Mr Johnston, If you would like to go through to the lounge your instructor will be with you shortly."  Excellent.  It looks like a go!

The club house is very nice.  Comfortable and clean.  There is a plaque on the wall saying that the original club house was opened in 1975 by a certain Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader, DSO DFC.  I guess I'm in good company then!


My instructor, Brian, came and introduced himself and went off to complete the necessary paperwork then it was time to go.  Janice declined a seat in the back of the plane and went off to the cafe.  On the way out to the plane I told Brian that I had experience flying with the ATC and that I had done one solo in a glider albeit over 20 years ago!  "Good" he replied "We'll see how quickly it all comes back to you".  We'll see indeed!


I climbed into the left hand seat of the cockpit and was surprised at how small it was.  A lot smaller than the cockpit in MS Flight Simulator!  He started the engine, pulled the plane forward and asked me if I wanted to do the taxi. Ehm OK!  To steer a plane on the ground is not like driving a car.  The 'wheel' or yoke in flying speak does the sum total of nothing when on the ground.  Its all done with the rudder peddles at your feet.  Push the left peddle to go left and push the right peddle to go right.  Simples!  Oh and did I mention you brake by pushing your toes forward.  Luckily there was a nice yellow line for me to follow.


We stopped short of the runway and Brian carried out the power up checks.  More about these another time after I have learnt to do them.  Brian then taxied onto the runway, lined up on the center line and told me to put my hands and feet on the controls.  "Ok Jeff as we move down the runway use the rudder peddles to keep us on the center line.  Good, now pull back gently on the yoke" and up we went.  Did I just take off or did Brian?  "Ok Jeff, to counteract the torque apply some right rudder".  The aircraft slews dramatically to the right.  I guess it was me flying the plane then!  I corrected the slew with some left rudder.


We (I even!) continued to climb with a left turn to 1500 feet and headed off down the west shoreline of Strangford Lough.  I could hear Brian talking to Belfast City air traffic control letting them know of our intentions. As we were flying along I told Brian that I was 'chasing' the vertical speed indicator trying to keep us at a set altitude.  He took control and demonstrated to me the lag in the vsi by descending and then climbing rather sharply and levelling off.  This caused a wee bit of negative G.  Nice!


Brian then demonstrated some 30 degree turns to the left and right then it was my turn. After a couple of tentative ones loosing about 200 foot in height I soon got the hang of them.  It was starting to come back to me.  All these turns eventually had used heading back up the eastern shoreline.  This was followed by having to pick out a point 90 degrees to the left, turning onto it and levelling out.

All too quickly Brian took back control of the aircraft and was descending on base leg for the airfield, turned finals and we landed.  He turned the plane around and let me taxi back to the apron.  First lesson in the bag and I now have definitely got the 'bug' and want some more.  Back in the club house I thanked Brian and went to the reception to gather all the data on what I had to do to continue with this new hobby.  Information in hand I went and found Janice in the cafe and told stories of derring do.  She, as it turns out, had had a enjoyable time in the cafe and had managed to score two free coffees and a scone!

Till the next time 'Happy Landings'

Hours Flown:
      
          Dual: 0.5
          Solo: 0.0





1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of flight!

    I look forward to reading about your training.

    Oh, and stop looking at those instruments. This is VFR, look out of the window! :)

    Andy

    ReplyDelete